Wednesday, November 17, 2004

So Last Year

Maybe it's me, but I can't summon any anger about Bill Clinton anymore. His library opened. Fine. Like all Presidential libraries, it tends to gloss things the former President wants glossed, like, say, oral sex in the oval office. That's fine too. Kids will be going there to learn about American history. We want them to know facts, sure, but we also want them to respect their government, including the Presidency. There's only been 43 of the fellows, after all. If I met Bill Clinton, I'd shake his hand and say, "Hello, Mr. President." It was a close question, he could have been impeached for lying under oath, but he wasn't, and on the whole, as a conservative (in the Burkean sense) I think we shouldn't impeach Presidents where the question is a close one.

Hating Bill Clinton, that's so last year. Particularly where the more recent Democratic nominees, Al Gore and John Kerry, make him look almost lovable by comparison.

1 Comments:

Blogger LargeBill said...

A couple items:
1. I have met Clinton and shook his hand. And even though I am conservative somewhat to the right of Limbaugh, I have enough respect for the office of the presidency that it means something to me that I met someone holding that office. I don't think I ever hated him. I was disgusted by his personal actions and in disagreement with his political positions.
2. Very minor correction, there have only been 42 presidents. George W. Bush is considered the 43rd president. However, Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th (Harrison was a one termer in between). So there have been 43 presidencies but only 42 presidents.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home