Friday, June 24, 2005

Tom Cruise Is Probably Not As Stupid As You Think

Tom Cruise has taken and will take whippings in the press for his adherence to Scientology and his over-the-top, somewhat odd pronouncements on his love for Katie Homes. Now, I think Scientology is a lot of hooey, but I can't really blame someone for talking about how much he loves his fiancee, since, if I were famous and someone wanted to interview me, I would probably wax pretty romantic about my wife and pretty sappy about my kids too.

However, Cruise is, I think, onto something in his comments on prescription drugs in a Today interview with Matt Lauer this morning. Now, I don't think that all prescription drugs for mental illness are necessarily bad -- doctors and scientists are pretty smart guys, after all, and generally should be listened to before we listen to actors. But to the extent that Cruise increases focus on the massive over-prescription of Ritalin for school children (read "boys"), I think he's making a very valid point and is very courageous for bringing it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home